Tuesday, February 14, 2006

that's amore...

Some people go to fancy dinners on Valentine's Day while others get bombarded with flowers and candy. This year I thought I'd change things up a little and decided that today would mark the start of a beautiful relationship with my new love, my guitar! The poor guy has been sitting in the corner of my room for the last couple of years while I've been away and busy and now that I'm back in town, I decided that enough is enough, I will learn how to play the guitar and play it well, even if it kills me! And let me say, so far, it is kicking some serious butt. I have always had much respect for guitar players, but even moreso now that I am learning to play. Building callouses are definitely no laughing matter. As I type my fingers are screaming out in pain and will probably be a nice shade of purple by tomorrow - swollen to the core. But despite all the initial pain and hours of practice I'm sure to put in, I'm excited about the end result and am determined to stay on track.

Image hosting by PhotobucketFirst song hurdle is mastering the intro of "Open Skies" (track 5) by David Crowder and props goes out to the guitarist who came up with the lick (if it's you, Crowder, you are truly the man). The song has been on death repeat and I'm sure if Bruno could speak he would be sick of the song because I've probably listened to it over 200 times en route to work and everywhere else I've been in the last 3 weeks. Everything about it from the "skies interlude" with the turntable and how everything is spliced up intertwined with the voiceover and then the intro/guitar lick and a chorus you want to blast out your windows forever....just brilliant! I also can't help but love track 7 on "Illuminate" as well - "How Great". It builds up and before you know it, you're singing at the top of your lungs. It's crazy amazing and has just recently taken the title of "song of the month". Still can't believe I gave up my chance to see him live...and for free...oh well...what can you do?

1 comment:

Will said...

Hey Lizzie,

I hope one of these days you and your guitar will hook up and make cute babies w/ guitar bodies. :) I also hope you can come to my small group one of these days!