Monday, December 19, 2005

apples and oranges

So after much thought and consideration, I decided to postpone my visit back to NYC. Though I was all ready to go, something felt "off" and when it came time to buy my plane ticket, I couldn't do it. Yesterday night at Vanessa's Christmas party, NYC came up in conversation and as I recounted stories about living in the Big Apple, I felt like I was there all over again. Then today when Rob e-mailed me about recommendations for his X'mas trip to Boston/New York, it was like re-living the past 6 years of my life. From my favorite brunch places - Zaftigs (BOS) and Good Enough to Eat (NYC) to Harvard Square and Central Park...the memories came flooding back. It's not that I don't like Toronto or being back. It's just different now. There is no comparison. I guess I just never thought I would or could miss NYC so much or be reminded of it everywhere I turn (from TV to movies and songs- the references are everywhere). The truth is that Toronto can never replace NYC just as NYC could never replace Boston, or Boston - Toronto. It's funny how when you have an orange all you can think about are apples.

1 comment:

Will said...

apples and oranges...both good to eat!